Debt Collection    l   Tracing & Reports     l    Business Forms     l    FAQ's    l     Litigation      l     PDF       Contact     l    Email     l     Home

UK Debt Collection     Debt Collection

UK Debt Collection

Debt Collection



Frequently Asked Questions


UK Debt Collection Debt Collection
UK Debt Collection Tracing and Reports
UK Debt Collection
Business Forms

UK Debt Collection FAQ's

UK Debt Collection Litigation
UK Debt Collection PDF Downloads
UK Debt Collection Contact

UK Debt Collection Email

UK Debt Collection Court Fees

UK Debt Collection Terms & Conditions
UK Debt Collection Unpaid Debt Register
UK Debt Collection Jobs@UKDC


UK Debt Collection Paralegal

UK Debt Collection Bailiffs

UK Debt Collection CCJ Enforcement

Rent arrears. Rent Arrears

Tenant eviction. Tenant Eviction

Worldwide debt collection. Worldwide Debt Collection

UK Debt Collection



What is your success rate?

What do you actually do?

Are you a member of any governing body?

What if the debtor is Bankrupt or in Receivership/Liquidation?

Can you provide Legal Advice?

When do I have to pay?

General Q&A

What is your success rate?

Very good. Whilst each individual debt is different most debts are resolved with our initial approaches by letter and phone. We will usually ensure you will be paid, normally within a few days unless: 

  • The debt is disputed

  • The debtor absconds or goes into Receivership/Liquidation/Administration

  • The debtor actually has no money.

  • The correct identity cannot be established

  • The debt is very old

In our experience it pays to take action as soon as possible, otherwise you may find that you were too late. If a debtor has only 2000 to pay 20,000 worth of bills, they will usually pay the people that employ the Debt Collectors first.


Don't wait until the money runs out. Very often the reason you have not been paid is because your debtor has cash flow problems and will not admit to it. They may also be waiting to see what steps you are going to take.  Once you employ our services they should realise that it is in their own interest to resolve the matter and also that you are serious about recovering your money.

Overseas debts do not have as high a success rate and depends largely on the country involved.

What do you actually do?

Our debt recovery action depends on the debtor but we usually approach your debt by phone and by post. If the debt cannot be resolved or the debtor does not respond the next step is legal action.

Are you licensed or a member of the CSA? (Credit Services Association)

We are licensed by the FCA. Whilst not a member of the CSA we do conduction ourselves in line with their Code of Practice which can be viewed on their website and by clicking the link below:

Debt Collection Order Code of Practice PDF (1.4Mb)

If I decide not to take the case further at this stage can you help?
Yes. We have our own solicitors that can take further action, including enforcement if you wish.

Who decides if the debt is to proceed to Litigation?
We both do. If we fail to resolve the debt with our initial approaches we will normally proceed to Litigation if we think it is likely to produce a positive result. However we are not obliged to do so and may decline to take the matter further if we think we can no longer be of any further help. You may decide to "Write it off",  or transfer the case to the high court, or use your own solicitor.

If the Debt is disputed can you help?
Yes, we can often negotiate a settlement on your behalf, you will be informed of any offer of settlement and you can then decide to accept or reject any offer.   

Back to Top

What if the company is in Receivership/Liquidation, can you help?

Nobody can make a debtor pay if they really are in Liquidation etc.
However we can check to make sure that they really are in liquidation or receivership. We will check to make sure it is above board etc, and that you are informed of meetings and who the other creditors are. Some company's send out notices that they are going into receivership but don't actually cease trading.  It pays to check.

Back to Top

Can you provide Legal Advice?

No. Only a solicitor is allowed to give legal advice. We are debt collectors and not solicitors. Debts are usually straight forward but if they are more complicated we will normally tell you when you should seek professional advice.

Back to Top

When do I have to pay you?

You will be invoiced:

1 When the debt has been resolved by acceptance of money or otherwise or
2 Where the debt is settled in any way whatsoever to us or directly with you or
3 Where Judgment has been awarded or where a credit note is raised or

4 In the case where judgment has already been obtained, when a charge is secured any asset or when an attachment of earnings order has been obtained.
5 Where you request that action is halted or suspended without reasonable explanation.
Back to Top

General Q&A

If there is a trial or hearing will I need to attend Court?

If the case is contested you will have to attend or send somebody that dealt with the case to explain the nature of the debt to the court.
Can somebody from your company appear as a witness?
Subject to location and availability it is possible for somebody to attend court by arrangement. Note: There will be a charge for this and overnight expenses will apply for travel of more than 60 miles from base.
Can you provide me with copies of correspondence?
Copies of correspondence received from your debtor will be faxed or posted to you when they are received. An administrational charge will be made for further copies or a written progress report.  
What are the chances of the debtor paying if a judgment is awarded?
In our experience actually getting paid depends on a number of things. If they have the money or assets to cover all the costs then the chances of getting paid are good. Unfortunately obtaining a Judgment and actually getting paid are often two different things. Many debtors pay up as soon as judgment is awarded. Others pay in instalments and more pay after enforcement. Remember that some debtors don't actually have the money. Individuals on low pay or company's with no assets may offer little chance of success, that is why we recommend a Basic Search & a Property Ownership Report before commencing legal action.
How long will court action take?
County Courts vary and some are faster than others. It usually take about 7 days after the Claim is processed for the defendant to receive it. If they don't pay immediately they have about 28 days to reply otherwise judgment can be requested by default. If they do contest the case it can take at least a month or two for a trial date and judges directions and other things can drag proceedings into months. Enforcement can produce quick results but can also last up to a year.
Can I use Credit Reference Reports or Companies House reports in court?
All information supplied by UK Debt Collection in respect of any credit reference, enquiry, company reports etc, is supplied in the strictest confidence and cannot be used in evidence or divulged to any third party. Copies of correspondence received by UK Debt Collection and our progress reports can be used in evidence.
Can I claim the court fees, issue fee etc?
The answer is usually Yes, The court fees and interest are added onto your claim and are usually added to the Judgment if you win your case.
Can I claim any other costs?
Depending on the amount of claim you can usually claim travelling expenses and witness costs fixed by the court. You can ask for any reasonable expense incurred and the judge will decide if it is relevant and should be awarded although it is rare to recover all your costs.
Can I claim the fees charged by Ability UK Debt Collection?
No. Unless you have a signed contract with your debtor where they agree in advance that if you employ a debt collection company they will pay our fees it is not possible to add our fees onto yours.

What information do you need to start recovery action?
The Name, Address, Amount Outstanding & Telephone number of your debtor.
If any of the above is not known you should run a Basic Search before Action is started. Where you do not know of any assets owned by the debtor it may also be wise to run a Property Ownership Search.
If you have to send documents only COPIES of any correspondence showing names, addresses, letterheads, business cards, compliments slips, bounced cheques etc should be sent. Anything that can lead to establishing the "Exact" identity.

Why do you charge VAT if I am from overseas?
VAT is charged on a service which is "Not Exported". The service is performed in the UK therefore tax applies. Please contact HM Customs & Excise if you need further assistance.

Back to Top


Please click here to return to our Home Page.




Contact l Terms l Order Forms

Ability UK Debt Collection                                                                                                                                                       Licensed debt collectors